Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A response to Andy Staples article

Andy,

To start, I must say that I do enjoy reading your work. College football is the only sport that I follow regularly, and your articles are those that I read more frequently than most other authors. However, the latest introduction to your latest power rankings was off the mark and blames “the system” for things that it isn’t supposed to do.

I definitely agree that this week’s slate of games is pretty weak, maybe the most unimpressive of the season. However, then you bring the BCS right into the picture, implying that the BCS is responsible for this week’s poor schedule. How exactly does that connect? As you know, the BCS is primarily responsible for determining which 2 teams most deserve to play for the national championship game. When did it become the scheduling authority?



Let me make my stance clear about the BCS. Like many, I definitely see its flaws. Furthermore, I think the overall best system would be to use the BCS rankings to institute a 4 team playoff, I think similar to Mandel’s plus one plan, but let’s not get carried away with another potential playoff plan. If I have to choose BCS or playoff, I go BCS every day of the week. For many reasons, but especially for the one that you bring up in your article, that every week of the season matters. A playoff not only makes this week even more irrelevant, but would probably go on and make next week irrelevant too, not to mention many other weeks.

Florida, Alabama and Texas are all probably going to win this week against lesser, non-rival opponents. Next week, they all play rivalry games, and as we all know, rivalry games can go either way because there is so much emotion involved. If there was a playoff, potentially all 3 teams could lose and their chances at a national title remain unchanged. Maybe it would be easier to see if we look at last week, specifically in the SEC. With Florida and Alabama locking up their respective SEC divisions earlier in the season, their games last week would mean next to nothing if there was a playoff. Now, of course this would depend on which proposed playoff system would be used (and honestly I can’t remember which theory you subscribe too since I’ve read so many), but I can’t imagine the SEC champion not getting into the playoff mix. Where is the excitement in that? With a playoff, Florida could potentially rest Tebow and lose to South Carolina, but who cares because they’ve already clinched the SEC East. The BCS, with all its flaws, makes them play to win that game! A playoff system does not.

Its hard to disagree that college football has the most impactful, meaningful and exciting regular season. Don’t get me wrong, the Patriots Colts game was exciting last week, but it doesn’t mean anything. Both teams are gong to make the playoffs and have a chance at the Super Bowl. It’s a simple fact that playoff systems devalue the regular season. All these early season matchups against top 10 teams in college basketball really don’t mean anything because 64 teams make it into their bloated playoff system. Playoffs are bad for regular seasons, and meaningful regular seasons are what drive college football and make it what we all love today.

I know this is a lengthy email, but your feedback would be greatly honored and appreciated. Thanks for the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment